Subject: DOCBOOK: Re: On the size of DocBook...

/ Adam Turoff <ziggy@panix.com> was heard to say:
[...]

Taking things slightly out of order...

| Just for kicks, how difficult would it be to refactor DocBook into
| a simple core (based on Simplified DocBook, or the moral equivalent),
| and implement the full DTD as multiple layers of customizations on

Quite. Hard that is. And it would introduce N! different "DocBooks".
How easy would that be to explain?

| fail because using DocBook only seems to work for people who have
| decided that learning how to use the DTD and tools is eventually
| better than the alternatives, despite the initial pain.

Would the learning curve for DocBook Core + DocBook Dublin Core +
DocBook Unix really have a significantly gentler slope? Aren't the
really hard issues editorial? Learning how to do structured authoring
is hard. I suggest that it's possible that learning how to do
structured authoring with a big DTD is only incrementally more
difficult than learning how to do it with a small DTD.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Perhaps, but let's not get bogged
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | down in semantics.--Homer J.
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | Simpson, BABF07