Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: New element for Step alternatives?

At 16:23 2002 09 13 -0400, Sabine Ocker - Sun Microsystems wrote:
>For example, if you wanted the following:
>
> 1. Check to see if Volume Manager is running.
>
>      * If Volume Manager is running, proceed to the next step.
>
>      * If Volume Manager is not running:
>
>        a. Log in as root.
>
>        b. Type /etc/init.d/volmgt start.
>
>   2. The next step...

What about the above step 1 makes it not just consist of
two steps where the second one consists of two steps?

I mean, suppose I changed the words to read as follows:

 1. How to get the Volume Manager running.

      * Pour yourself a cup of coffee.

      * Start the Volume Manager running:

        a. Log in as root.

        b. Type /etc/init.d/volmgt start.

Certainly that would just be steps within steps.  So the only
difference appears to be that your example has the word "If"
in it, but I'm not sure I see the motivation yet for that
requiring a fairly thorough change of markup.

>The proposed markup would look like:
><snip>
>  <alternatives>
>        <branch><para>If Volume Manager is running, proceed to the next
>          step.</para></branch>
>               <substeps>
>               </substeps></branch>
>  </alternatives>