Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: simplified docbook and image info

Michael Hall asked: "Does anyone on this list have any knowledge/experience with XML->PageMaker transformations that might help us cut a few corners?"

I don't know if this helps, but XML Mind's XFC (http://www.xmlmind.com/foconverter/) will convert an XML (DocBook) file into pdf, rtf or other format. PageMaker can then import the resulting file.  Here is a list of file types that PageMaker will import or export:

You may wish to consider Adobe FrameMaker over PageMaker in the context of large or technical documents.  FrameMaker 7 comes with WebWorks Publisher Standard Edition.  You would first create a structured FrameMaker document, which can be immediately published into pdf. You then use WebWorks to create (1) a DHTML document, (2) an XML + CSS document, (3) an XML +XSL document, or (4) other types not relevant here. You will have to map the elements/styles used in FrameMaker to WebWorks, but this is fairly simple.  I haven't tried it yet, but I believe WebWorks allows you to create your own XML templates that utilize DocBook or other DTD/Schema. Out of the box, a WebWorks document has a totally different look and feel from the original FrameMaker document (and pdf version).  So you will have to modify the stylesheet(s) accordingly.

Finally, I think Adobe may have a problem with your plans.  Unless I am mistaken, PageMaker uses a proprietary file format.  I therefore suggest that you contact Adobe and obtain its consent, if necessary.

Good luck.

Gary Hoffman