Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: xml:base

At 10:18 2002 11 20 -0500, John Cowan wrote:
>Paul Grosso scripsit:
>
>> I think the way xml:base is defined to work (both by the XML Base
>> spec and the Infoset) is to affect URI references within the
>> document's infoset.  But the fileref and url attributes are only
>> attributes within the infoset, not URI references.
>
>What it specifies, or helps to specify, is the base URI of elements (and PIs)
>within the infoset.
>
>The document type definition has to say which attribute values or element
>content are in fact URI references in order for xml:base to be useful.

Thanks, John, that was my key point.

>Presumably that is already the case.

The doctype declaration files don't do that in any fashion
(e.g., via a %uri; sort of parameter entity or comment, at
least as far as I can tell).  It is possible some separate
Guide/docn mentions this, but I think it would be useful to
have a comment in the doctype declaration files next to the
entry for xml:base that says just what attribute values or
element content are in fact URI references to which xml:base
should apply.

More specifically, I wanted to be sure the TC agreed on just
what was the set of things to which xml:base applied.  I had
to miss the telcon so I don't know what was discussed, but it
appeared that there wasn't much discussion about this.

paul