Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Request for comments: adding a Fileoutput element (RFE613293)

On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 04:56:27PM -0600, Paul Grosso wrote:

> >I support the addition of a filecontents element.
> >But I object to removing programlisting and literallayout.
>

> I agree with Bob's sentiment.
>
> However, I also fail to see the usefulness of a "filecontents"
> element unless it truly allows the incorporation of a file's contents.
>
> I'd like to see some element (perhaps filecontents) with an href (or
> whatever) attribute which, if assigned, means the referenced file's
> contents should be inserted in "verbatim" mode.  Presumably, if this
> attribute is set, the filecontents element would be empty (or its
> contents would be ignored).
>
> This allows the incorporation of whatever is really in the referenced
> file at publication time which is a much better way of guaranteeing
> that the code you print is the code that really works.
>
> Am I missing an existing DocBook element that allows for this?

Yes, in DocBook 4.2 it got easier with either of
these combinations:

</literallayout>

</programlisting>

Using this mechanism, the wrapper element can contain
literal file text or a textobject to insert it, or a
combination.

The issues here are that not all files are programlistings,
and that literallayout is not specific enough.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com