Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: index autogeneration

On Monday, January 6, 2003, at 10:59 AM, Bob Stayton wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 02:21:41PM -0300, John Lenton wrote:
>> Hi all.
>>
>> I'm trying to write a docbook that has an index, and I'd like that
>> index to be autogenerated. So far I've only been able to generate it
>> when rendering the 'book as HTML.
>>
>> Any pointers?
>
> XSL or DSSSL stylesheets?
>
> If XSL, then I can tell you that the next release of
> the XSL stylesheets will have much improved auto index
> generation for both HTML and FO outputs.

Alternately, if you're doing DSSSL (or really even if you're not), I
have a perl script (twig-based) that you might consider looking at that
makes quick work of munging the in-text tags into an XML index
(modifying the original XML document in the process).  It's
particularly nice when combined with a huge stylesheet hack to handle
removing page number duplicates in TeX....  Yumm.  Big scary TeX macro.

David

David A. Gatwood
Kernel Doc Geek
Apple