Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Problem with glossseealso on html generation

On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 11:08:55AM -0800, Bob Stayton wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 03:53:26PM +0000, Martin West wrote:
> >
> > I have a glossseealso entry in a glossdef ...
> >         <glossentry>
> >             <glossterm id="gl-Exchange">Exchange</glossterm>
> >             <glossdef>
> >                 <para>An Exchange is a Request and its associated
> > Response.</para>
> >                 <glossseealso otherterm="gl-Request"/>
> >                 <glossseealso otherterm="gl-Response"/>
> >             </glossdef>
> >         </glossentry>
> >
> >         <glossentry>
> >             <glossterm id="gl-Request">Request</glossterm>
> >             <glossdef>
> >                 <para>A type of communication from source to target
> > where no
> >                     response is guaranteed.</para>
> >                 <glossseealso otherterm="gl-Oneway"/>
> >             </glossdef>
> >         </glossentry>
> >         <glossentry>
> >             <glossterm id="gl-Response">Response</glossterm>
> >             <glossdef>
> >                 <para>A type of communication from target to source that
> > always
> >                     follows a request.</para>
> >             </glossdef>
> >         </glossentry>
> > This compiles without error and the see also generates an html link but
> > html anchor point for the glossterm is not generated.
> >
> > I tried putting the id on the glossentry but this didn't compile ....
> > The definition for glossentry doesn't have an id attribute but the
> > example in
> > http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/docbook/chapter/book/glossary.html
> > does albiet the sgml entry has an unquoted id value, which is incorrect
> > correct?
>
> The DocBook DTD most certainly permits id on glossentry.
> When I put the ID in glossentry in your example, the anchor is
> generated and the link works.  It should also work with the
> id on glossterm, I think, so that is probably a bug
> in the stylesheet.
>
> What kind of error message do you get when you put an id on
> glossentry?

Actually, now that I look at the XSL code more closely,
you should put the id on the glossentry element, not glossterm,
if you want glossary links to work with the DocBook stylesheets.
The stylesheet will put the anchor tag on a glossterm
output using the id from the glossentry parent.
An xref to a glossentry assumes the same thing.

The Definitive Guide reference pages for glosssee and glossseealso
document that an 'otherterm' attribute should point to
a glossentry, not a glossterm element.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com