Subject: Comments regarding chapter 1 of the 2.0.8 version of"DocBook: The Definitive Guide"

The following comments refer to the page:
http://docbook.org/tdg/en/html/ch01.html
As it was on the date January 16, 2003.

1. In the section "HTML and SGML vs. XML", the first paragraph says:
"HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) is a way of marking up text and graphics
so that the most popular web browsers can interpret them."
What, does that mean less popular browsers cannot interpret HTML? Joke ;-)
I think a better definition of HTML would be:
"HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) is a markup language (a kind of text
encoding that represents text as well as details about the structure and
appearance of the text) designed for creating web pages, that is,
information presented on the World Wide Web." (source-
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML and
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markup_language)

Also, I think a (short) mention of XHTML and the W3C would be in order here.

2. In the section "Structured and Semantic Markup", under the section
"Clarity":
"A title begins with < title> and ends ".
Is the space between the '<' sign and the word 'title' a typo?

3. In the section "Elements and Attributes", in the last paragraph :
"cross reference in place of the < xref>."
Is the space between the '<' sign and the word 'xref' a typo?

4. Also in the same paragraph (comment (3)), in the text:
"for example <xref linkend=”idvalue” >",
the quotation marks around the word 'idvalue' look different (at least in my
browser) than the quotation marks in all the rest of the text. For example,
in the same paragraph, see: "<systemitem role="URL"> ".

I've already tried sending these (and a couple of other) comments to
"bookcomments@docbook.org" but got no reply, even though a couple of my
suggestions did actually get implemented in the 2.0.8 version (vs. the 2.0.7
version). So I decided to try this mailing list - if this is not the right
place for these comments, please let me know where I can send them.

Regards,
Offer Kaye