Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Can't get PDF from DocBook

On Wednesday, January 29, 2003, at 09:14 AM, Aaron Mulder wrote:

> 	I poked through the archives and tried some of the suggestions I
> found, but I'm still having trouble getting PDF output from a DocBook
> file.  I have a document that's 14 pages and 40k (all text, no images
> or
> anything) when converted to RTF.  When I run openjade to convert it to
> TEX, I get an 11MB TEX file.  Then when I run pdfjadetex, I get "TeX
> capacity exceeded, sorry [main memory size=1500001]".  I tried changing
> the memory values in texmf.cnf, with no apparent effect on the error
> message.  I'm using all the default DocBook, SGML, and Jade
> installations
> on Red Hat Linux 8.  It seems to me that the TEX file is unusually
> large,
> but I'm pretty new to DocBook (and I know next to nothing about TeX),
> so
> any pointers would be appreciated.

The only time I've seen huge files for a small document is when, for
whatever reason, OpenJade didn't parse the XML correctly (for example,
I had nightmares when the DTD used all lower-case tags and my document
used mixed-case tags).  Are you getting any warnings or errors when you
run OpenJade?

David