Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: DocBook with XMLSpy

re:

I have the following written in XML  spy, but it gives me the error: "This
file is not well-formed: <!ELEMENT  expected."

<?xml version="1.0"  encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE book  PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook  XML V4.1.2//EN"
 "c:\manav\docbook\dtd\docbookx.dtd"
  <!ENTITY manav "Manavendra  Gupta">
  <!ENTITY manavemail "manavendrak@hotmail.com">   <!ENTITY  alex "Alex
Russell">
  <!ENTITY alexemail "alex@securepipe.com">   <!ENTITY  alexemail2
"alex@netwindows.org"> ]>
<book>

</book>

Looks like you are missing an open-square bracket before the first entity
declaration. Also watch out for spurious characters which Spy's editor
window shows as whitespace, but which cause parser validation errors.

The following validates for me in XMLSpy 5 (I'm using simplified DocBook
though, hence have hacked dtd filename and replaced <book> with <article>):

<?xml version="1.0"  encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE article PUBLIC
 "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.1.2//EN"
 "sdocbook.dtd" [
<!ENTITY manav "Manavendra Gupta">
<!ENTITY manavemail "manavendrak@hotmail.com">
<!ENTITY alex "Alex Russell">
<!ENTITY alexemail "alex@securepipe.com">
<!ENTITY alexemail2 "alex@netwindows.org">
]>
<article>
<para>Hello &manav;</para>
</article>

Rob.

This message has been sent via the Internet. Internet communications are not secure against interception or modification. Aseriti therefore cannot guarantee that this message has not been modified in transit, and this message should not be viewed as contractually binding.
This message and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you have received this message in error please notify the sender and destroy your copies of the message and any attached files.
Aseriti is the trading name of Severn Trent Systems Ltd.
Severn Trent Systems Ltd : a part of Severn Trent Plc
Registered in England and Wales Registration No. 2394552