Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: bidi [was: DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes:18 Feb 2003]

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 08:48:07AM -0600, Paul Grosso wrote:
> >Is that necessary ?  Isn't possible to infer the writing direction
> >from the value of the "lang" attribute, without adding anything new ?
>
> I don't think so.  Note at [1] that:
>
>   User agents must not use the lang attribute to determine text directionality.

Is that from the HTML specs ?

> The fact is that both HTML and XSL-FO have a "bidi" element and a
> "direction" attribute/property.  We could check with the W3C I18N folks
> to see if they wish to provide a suggestion, but it looks to me like
> our target output formats both support such elements and attributes,
> so it probably makes sense for our DTD to do likewise.

Well, XSL-FO is completely layout-oriented, and HTML is still striving
to get away from layout-oriented stuff.  I'm not sure they are good
models for DocBook...

Regards,
--
Yann Dirson <Yann.Dirson@fr.alcove.com>                 http://www.alcove.com/
Technical support manager                Responsable de l'assistance technique