Subject: Relative Paths?

I have

<!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "...."
[
<!ENTITY database SYSTEM "dbms/docs/database.xmldoc">
]>
<book>
  <title>Project</title>
    <chapter>
      <title>Database</title>
        &database;
    </chapter>
</book>

Then, I the dbms/docs/database.xmldoc file has its code as:
<sect1>
   <imageobject>
      <imagedata fileref="images-db/schema_picture.bmp"/>
   </imageobject>
</sect1>

When I publish the book, Project, I don't see the bmp although the text
of dbms/docs/database.xmldoc is found in the book.

When I redo the document like so,

<!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "...." []>
<book>
  <title>Project</title>
    <chapter>
      <title>Database</title>
        <sect1>
           <imageobject>
              <imagedata fileref="images-db/schema_picture.bmp"/>
           </imageobject>
        </sect1>
    </chapter>
</book>

I see the image.

What "relative path" issue with XML am I missing out on?

Thanks.
--
Galen deForest Boyer