Subject: Re: [docbook] Re: XHTML tables; examples

Jirka Kosek wrote:

> Tobias Reif wrote:
>
>>caption is not a title element.
>>http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/tables.html#h-11.2.2
>>"When present, the CAPTION element's text should describe the nature of
>>the table."
>>
>>Headings/titles in XHTML are handled via h1-h6. In XHTML you could write
>>
> I was talking about table title, not section title.

There is no table title in the example you are commenting on.

If there would be one, it cold look like

   <para>foo</para>
       <caption>[desc]</caption>

or the schema could even allow

   <para>foo</para>
     <caption>[desc]</caption>

Would that be OK for you? I think it looks good.
(My example was just that; not a proposal.)

You wrote:
"You are proposing that some tables will have title specified in <title>
and others in <caption>? "

No, we don't. caption is not a title.

> Semantic of
> table/title in DocBook is same as table/caption in (X)HTML.

Nope:

table/title

tdg-en-html-2.0.7/tdg/en/html/title.html
"The text of the title of a section of a document or of a formal
block-level element"

table/caption

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/tables.html#h-11.2.2
"When present, the CAPTION element's text should describe the nature of
the table."

> That's the
> place of ambiguity and inconsistence.

If the content of table/title would not be a title but a description as
you state, then there would indeed be ambiguity and inconsistence, in
that document.

Tobi

--
http://www.pinkjuice.com/