Subject: Re: [docbook] DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 18 Mar2003

ed nixon wrote:

>> Regarding another point you raised in a previous post:
>> AFAICS, the question "Users vs. Implementers" doesn't pose itself.
>
> Of course, it's hard for a question to pose itself, so I'll pose it:
> what (semantic?) functionality or flexibility (if any) is being *lost*
> by dropping the CALS model in favour of the XHTML table model?

I think you misunderstood me. I didn't say "functionality or flexibility
  is being *lost*". I also did not propose or request to exclude the
CALS table model. I simply want to see the XHTML table model included in
DocBook, and I think that it would be good for many authors, and also
for implementers, which in turn can have benefits for users. "Users"
include current and potential future users.

Six of eight members of the TC agree; they said they are "willing to
include XHTML tables in DocBook" [1].

> Again, the words "many users want..." crops up, but the discussion on
> the list doesn't seem to warrant that typification.

 From the minutes:
(stuff in []s is inserted by me)

"Norm argues that the mental transition from XHTML to CALS is
significant and a body of users [seems to mean s.th. like "many users"]
would find DocBook easier to learn if they didn't have to make that
transition.
[...]
Nancy: I think we've had a new data point, the users have asked us
[probably not just two] and so I think the users have demonstrated that
it's important."

Also IIRC there were some posts where users/authors thought it would be
a good idea, but saw problems regarding related issues such as
copy'n'paste from XHTML docs etc.

Tobi

[1] From the minutes:

--