Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Re: marking up keycaps according to their semantics

Steinar Bang wrote:

>>   <keycombo action="simul">
>>     <keycap function="control"/>
>>     <keycap>h</keycap>
>>   </keycombo>
>>
> When I read Bob Stayton's suggestion earlier in the thread, I thought
>     <keycap function="control">h</keycap>
> was what he meant...?

I don't know what Bob meant, but the above is not a very clear way to
describe the input action, IMHO.

The keycap element marks up the letter h, and the attribute is on that
element; it is doesn't make much sense to say function="control"
would be an attribute of this keycap "h" (it isn't). XML attributes
describe attributes of the element's meaning and optionally of it's content:

<rect color="red"/>

<filename class="headerfile">keyboard.h</filename>

But in your example

<keycap function="control">h</keycap>

the attribute is neither an attribute of the element, nor of it's
content. The "h" doesn't or have the function "control".

> But of course that would make it hard to express something like C-M-h.
>
> Perhaps one could do something like this...?
>     <keycap function="control;meta">h</keycap>

If you want to save typing, you could use some terse non-XML notation,
then expand it to XML.

Here's the RFE:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=697374&group_id=21935&atid=384107

Tobi