Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Re: marking up keycaps according to their semantics

Norman Walsh wrote:

 > I was implicitly saying that I don't generally see value in trying to
 > capture that level of detail.

But my proposal doesn't really change the level of detail; it just would
allow authors to shift from marking up ASCII rendering (presentational)
to marking up the input item (semantic), in a uniform way (specified by
the official DTD and spec). Only when such a uniform way is offered can
authors expect their documents to work with general tools, and only then
can implementers/customizers/users expect their tools to work with any
DocBook document.

(The spec could also specify that <keycap>Ctrl</keycap> stands for the
control key, etc.)

 > It only works if documents are consistently marked up.

Exactly. But many of the DocBook tools (eg your XSLTs) work well with
any DocBook document. In the case of input such as control, alt, etc,
there currently is no way for a tool to be general.

A local tool will work for a local set of consistently marked up
documents, but can't be known to work with other documents. With my
proposal, all DocBook documents would use the same markup for the same
input item, thus general tools could handle them. All documents could be
consistently marked up, not just a local set.

 > | What if authors used "C-" (Emacs notation) or "Strg" (German key
 > | label) or "<C->" (Vim notation)? What if this tool is to be general,
 > | and has gets fed something other than <keycap>Ctrl</keycap> for
 > | control?
 >
 > It only works if documents are consistently marked up. :-)

But neither the DTD nor the spec specifies what to use for
control/alt/etc input. There is no way for a general tool to know what
to expect.

If I use your XSLTs, there's no way for them or my customization layer
to use a pic for all control-foo sequences, unless I tell it what a
certain (set of) document(s) uses as ASCII rendering.
The next day I receive a new document, and the mechanism stops to work
if they used some other ASCII rendering, which is very possible, common,
valid, and sensible (C is just as valid and sensible as ctrl).

 > | I see the latter as necessity. DocBook is mostly (should be 100%
 > | IMHO)
 > | about nothing but about being semantic. If I could markup input as
 >
 > Right. But there's a constant tension between ease of markup and
 > granularity of information.

How does my proposal make authoring / marking up less easy?

My proposal would add value without requiring authors to write more
code. In many cases, it even saves some typing.

As you say, often trade-offs have to be balanced betweeen higher
granularity  and added verbosity. But what's the disadvantage in this
case? All that's needed is a simple enumerated attribute for keycap, and
documents don't become more verbose.

It's not a shift to a higher level of granularity and verbosity, but
instead it is a shift from arbitrary and non-standardized presentational
markup to concise and standardized semantic markup.

Tobi

--
http://www.pinkjuice.com/