Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Re: marking up keycaps according to their semantics

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   i didn't mean to make a big issue out of this; i'm satisfied
> with the current proposal,

cool :)

>   currently, a key cap is written as <keycap>x</keycap>.  this
> seems to suggest that a keycap is, by default, of type "literal",
> if i can call it that.

Yep, and this stays true for "non-function"/char keys.

>   now the above is pretty darn wordy, but one can condense it
> by, perhaps, redefining keycap to not need any content at all:
>
>   <keycap literal="x"/>
>   <keycap function="escape"/>

In
  <keycap>x</keycap>
the textual content is literal, which is implied (as you wrote above),
and understood.
So
  <keycap>x</keycap>
  <keycap function="escape"/>
makes sense IMHO.

>   i also notice that the definition of a keycap, according to
> 2.0.8, is "the *text* printed on a key on the keyboard" (my emphasis).

yep (notice that currently there is a problem, since on my control key,
there is written "Strg", while on other's there's "Ctrl")

> notice that this isn't strictly true anymore,

Exactly, but it stays true for "non-function"/char keys.

For stuff like
  <keycap>x</keycap>
the def stays true.
For the proposed extension, the spec would need to be extended to
explain the notation for those keycaps which are function keys, eg
<keycap function="escape"/> for escape etc.

 >  since what might be
 > displayed could be something other than text.

Exactly! That's one of the main reasons for requesting that the markup
for function keys be specified/standardized, no matter which
notation/naming/syntax is used. Then you can translate them into pics,
ASCII rendering, foreign laguages, etc.

>   anyway, i realize i'm being thoroughly anal retentive, so i'll just
> shut up now, and whole-heartedly support whatever gets added.

Discussing this stuff makes sense. Thanks for your input.

Tobi

--
http://www.pinkjuice.com/