Subject: Clean way to insert a "pause" between blocks of paragraphs?

Have you noticed in that the chapters of some books,
there will be a block of paragraphs on a subject, then
extra space or a little centered separator symbol
(maybe a row of dots), and then another block of
paragraphs, etc.

I tried looking to see if DocBook had some semantic
coding for this subtler form of subdivision. I looked
at TEI as well, since the sort of thing I described is
found more in fiction than tech docs, but still no
dice. (TEI's <div> tags looked promising, since the
<head> tag, unlike DocBook's corresponding <title>
tag, is optional, but even then a division seems to
suggest a rendering involving *some* header, like
"Chapter 1," at least if I use the typical tools to
render the document.)

Is there something that I missed, either in DocBook or
TEI?