Subject: RE: [docbook] Clean way to insert a "pause" between blocks of paragraphs?

--- "James J. Ramsey" <jjramsey_6x9eq42@yahoo.com>
wrote:
> I created a stylesheet with the following content:
>
> <?xml version='1.0'?>
> <xsl:stylesheet
>
> xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format"
>                  version="1.0">
>
> <xsl:import

href="file:///usr/share/sgml/docbook/xsl-stylesheets/fo/docbook.xsl"/>

> <xsl:template

match="processing-instruction('jjfo')[contains(.,'pause')]">
>    <fo:block font-size="12pt"
>        text-align="center"
>        space-before="12pt"
>        keep-with-previous="always">
>    </fo:block>
> </xsl:template>

-- snip ---

> The result looks kind of ugly because the Docbook
> XSL
> stylesheet distiguishes paragraphs with blank lines
> instead of indenting by default, but it's a start.

The following stylesheet looks *much* better, IMHO:

<?xml version='1.0'?>
<xsl:stylesheet

xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format"
                 version="1.0">

<xsl:import
href="file:///usr/share/sgml/docbook/xsl-stylesheets/fo/docbook.xsl"/>

<xsl:template
match="processing-instruction('jjfo')[contains(.,'pause')]">
   <fo:block font-size="12pt"
       text-align="center"
       space-before="6pt"
       keep-with-previous="always">
    . . .
   </fo:block>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

With paragraphs demarked by blank lines instead of
indentation, the three centered periods work better
than just blank space. The tricky part is making sure
the spacing above is about the same as the spacing
below, since the periods obviously have about 12
points of space on top of them. Setting the
"space-before" attribute to 6 points seems to keep the
periods centered between paragraphs, although I'm not
sure of the details of why it works out that way.