Subject: Programming language in programlisting

Hi,

I am writing a Saxon-Extension for Syntax-Highlighting code in
programlistings. My question is, how to specify the programming
language of the code in the programlisting.

As I understood lang, it is only for human languages. The other option
seems to be role, so which version is better?

<programlisting lang="java">

or

<programlisting role="java">

with best regards