Subject: Re: [docbook] Table questions

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 10:56:55AM -0700, Bob Stayton wrote:
> On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 04:56:03AM -0400, Ed Stuart wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm using the 4.2 DTD; do tables allow for column headers, as opposed to row
> > headers?
>
> I guess I think of "column header" as the header at the top
> of a column, which DocBook has.  I guess you mean a column
> of headers that identify rows.  No, the CALS table model
> in DocBook does not have an element for such headers.

For row headers you can have a look at my xtable extension
(http://savannah.nongnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/alcovebook/xtable/)

For a sample document, see: http://savannah.nongnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/alcovebook/xtable/test.xml?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

On the rendering side, I implemented a simple (dsssl) transformation
from xtable to CALS, so you can use whatever you like (eg. xsl) to
render it afterwards.

It only has a very limited subset of CALS, however, but patches are
gladly accepted :)

HTH,
--
Yann Dirson <Yann.Dirson@fr.alcove.com>                 http://www.alcove.com/
Technical support manager                Responsable de l'assistance technique