Subject: Re: [docbook] DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 20 May 2003

At 22:19 2003 05 20 +0200, Tobias Reif wrote:
>Paul Grosso wrote:
>
>> The term is officially defined at/by
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml-names/#dt-NSName
>
>Thanks, so we agree about what is to be provided as value of the new attribute named "namespace";

Yes, I believe so, we're just disagreeing on terminology.

> typically, it's the namespace URI, eg a URL.

To be pedantic, no.

There is no such thing as "*the* namespace URI" as far
as the Namespace spec is concerned (though specs like
the DOM and XSL use such erroneous terminology).

The thing we're talking about is "*the* namespace name".

A namespace name is (per its definition) a URI reference,
an example of which would be a URL.  (Per an erratum [1]
to the Namespace spec, relative URI references are
deprecated, so in practice, a namespace name should be
an absolute URI reference.)

But as I said, all this is pedantic--I'm pretty sure we're
really talking about the same thing.  Of course, this whole
thread is about terminology, after all.

paul

[1] http://www.w3.org/XML/xml-names-19990114-errata#NE04