Subject: Re: [docbook] Ruminations on the future of DocBook

Pierre,

I am by no means knowledgeable about XML or how it is actually processed but I see the current number of elements as a distraction to many users who just want to write a document and then have it transformed so it appears as desired. As I see it, minimizing the quantity of tags would be a good thing. The structure of the DocBook at a high level does this, for example:

<!ENTITY % admon.class
        "caution|important|note|tip|warning %local.admon.class;">

Already groups all admonitions into a class. Then each element that is part of this grouping is further defined as tip is below:

<!ENTITY % tip.element "INCLUDE">
<![%tip.element;[
<!ELEMENT tip %ho; (title?, (%admon.mix;)+)
                      %admon.exclusion;>
<!--end of tip.element-->]]>

<!ENTITY % tip.attlist "INCLUDE">
<![%tip.attlist;[
<!ATTLIST tip
        %common.attrib;
        %admon.role.attrib;
        %local.admon.attrib;

<!--end of tip.attlist-->]]>

So I guess my question is why not just produce an <admonition> element that specifies a particular set of roles that are to be used (for example: graphics.attrib provides for align=left,right, or center) like admonition.attrib where role=note, caution, warning, important, tip, hint, etc.? This would help minimize the actual structure of the DTD or schema but require a writer to set the role as required. Maybe there is a programmitcal reason that this cannot be done.

As I stated, this seems moot because there are many documents that already rely on each individual element and a change like this would require a lot of work to retag to meet the new DTD/schema.

There are reasons that elements were added to the DTD in the first place. I don't really see a reason for a <figure> and <simplefigure> because as I see it the structure could have allowed for zero or one title. But, because I couldn't write a DTD to save my life, I probably should close my yap.

Jeff Biss

Pierre Machard wrote:
20030530154432.GD2795@twinette.migus.eu.org">
Hi,