Subject: Re: [docbook] Ruminations on the future of DocBook

ed nixon <ed.nixon@LynnParkPlace.org> writes:

[...]

> Constructive suggestions, made in good faith (yes mine, for example
> about cutting back to an XHTML mapping) deserve more than a polite reply
> or two to highlight the thundering silence and lack of discussion. On
> the other hand, if I'm mistaken and the purpose of this thread is simply
> to inform rather than gather feedback, why not just get on with the
> changes and report back when they're done? It should be clear that an
> unstructured and free flowing mailing-list is not the way to collect
> real input, requirements or feedback.

[...]

Ed,

As far as the 'thundering silence and lack of discussion' go, I'm not
sure who you're expecting to hear from or what you want them to say.
Norm made it clear in his message that he wasn't speaking for the TC. I
think the aim was to encourage renewed peer-to-peer discussion about the
topic, not to gather feedback or requirements for the TC to use.

And regarding whether using the mailing list is a good way to collect
feedback, I kind of wonder what alternative you'd suggest.

If it's a matter of seeing the ideas actually get recorded somewhere
other than just in the mailing-list archives, maybe the DocBook Wiki
would be a good place to do that.

There are now a couple of related pages there awaiting additions from
anybody who cares to make them -

  http://docbook.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsWrongWithDocBook
  http://docbook.org/wiki/moin.cgi/DocBookFuture

And if those don't seem useful, you or anybody else can set up a new
page there to more closely match the topic you have in mind
(e.g., DocBookModularization, DocBookSimplication).

  --Mike

PGP signature