Subject: Re: [docbook] Using multiple modules

Sorry you didn't get a response.  I took a look at the problem, and
did not see a way to merge the DTD components without manually
editing. So I didn't respond, thinking perhaps someone else would.
And perhaps they will, since not everyone keeps up with the mailing
list on a daily basis.

Perhaps those files should be called "DTD customizations" instead
of modules, since you can't just plug them in.  There has been talk
over the years of making the DocBook DTD truly modular to handle
needs like yours, but it isn't architected for it now.

I think you have overstated the problems with DocBook, though.
"impossible to install"?  Hardly, since lots of people manage to
do it.  And you can get good PDF output.  I produced my
book using DocBook XSL to generate the PDF.  FOP isn't
quite there yet, but the commercial tools are.  I won't say
DocBook is simple, and there are many situations where it
isn't appropriate. But it does meet the needs of a lot of people
who manage to get it to work.

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
DocBook Consulting