Subject: Re: [docbook] Docbook combined with a website

On Friday 02 July 2004 10:52, you wrote:
> Hi Frans
>
> On Fri 2004-07-02 Frans Englich wrote:
> > Is it possible to use such an combination? Several articles into one
> > book?
>
> Yes, eg
>
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <!DOCTYPE book
>   PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.3//EN"
>   "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.3/docbookx.dtd";
>
> <book>
>   <bookinfo>
>     <title>My Articles</title>
>     <author>
>       <firstname>Frans</firstname>
>       <surname>Englich</surname>
>     </author>
>   </bookinfo>
>   <article>
>     <title>w</title>
>     <simpara>x</simpara>
>   </article>
>   <article>
>     <title>y</title>
>     <simpara>z</simpara>
>   </article>
> </book>
>
> > Is it possible to simply view the docbook files of the web, or do
> > they need to be processed first? (can they be viewed as they are in
> > a browser, or do they need to be exported into a viewing format)
>
> I suggest (X)HTML and PDF. You could for example use the
> docbook.sf.net XSLTs, a manual is available at

Which means I don't have to export it to separate files - I just mentions the
XSL stylesheet of my choice in the docbook file and its rendered on the fly
to HTML. Right? :)

I realize I could use a book on XML technologies in general. Perhaps you have
any good suggestions?

This is how I would like the book to be:

* It should be a reference book plunging deeply into the major W3C XML
technologies. No tutorials or educational form which forces me into a certain
reading style. I should as an engineer, be able to understand and use the
discussed technology.

* Not a beginner book. Straight to the point.

* It must be up to date. Speaking of relevancy - is it at all worth getting "a
bible"(a big and expensive book) on XML, or will there be a new draft soon in
a major technology? (some haven't even left draft state) Is it worth getting
a big book? Is there major XML technologies which just have left working
drafts and a "wave" of up to date books are on its way? When is the right
moment to buy?

* It should not bother about SGML/DTD.

* It should be neutral, generic and not tailored to a specific case(db
applications, for example). It should not be implementation specific - no
examples from a programming language. And certainly not else.

A google search returned nothing of value(IMHO), any good suggestions?

Cheers,

		Frans