Subject: Re: tables and merging cells

You can set the 'morerows' attribute to the number of extra rows the entry needs to span, e.g. 'morerows="5"' if the entry needs to span a total of 6 rows. You do need to be careful, when doing this, so that the following 5 rows have entry elements only for the non-spanned columns.

For example, if you're spanning your first two table body rows in column 1 of a three-column table, your table code might start like this:

<title>New Table</title>
<tgroup cols="3"><colspec colname="col1" colwidth=".8in"/><colspec colname="col2"
colwidth="1.75in"/><colspec colname="col3"/>

If you need to span columns instead of rows, use the namest/nameend attributes to '<entry>, for example:

The above row spans both columns of a two-column table. The values for the namest/nameend attributes come from the <colspec> column name (<colname>) definitions.

Hope this helps

_______
Nancy P Harrison
Rational Software, IBM Software Group
20 Maguire Rd., Lexington MA 02421
Phone: 781-676-2535
nancyph@us.ibm.com

Emma Jane Hogbin <emmajane@xtrinsic.com>

07/22/2004 10:59 AM

DocBook <docbook@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc
Subject
tables and merging cells

Hello,

A friend of mine was telling me about a problem he's having with DocBook
tables. He's been unable to successfully merge cells in his documents. I
agreed to help him track down the problem. I scanned through the
docbook.org site but I haven't been able to figure out this problem.

http://docbook.org/tdg/en/html/entry.html
MoreRows would "merge" down, I think?

Under the Process Expectations I see that it must be possible to merge
cells:
                The content of Entry is formatted to fit within the table cell that it
                occupies. Horizontal and vertical spanning may allow the content of an
                Entry to occupy several physical cells.

...but I don't understand how. Is there a tutorial that someone could
point me towards?

thanks!
emma

--