Subject: Re: [docbook] DocBook architecture: HTML Forms, HTML Tables, EBNF and MathML

Hi Christian,
You are correct that the DTD architecture does not support a mix and match
system for adding modules.

It is possible to create a DTD customization layer that includes all of
those modules, I think. You would start with the stock DTD and follow the
same methods that each of them uses to integrate with their modified DTD. I
don't think they step on each other's toes, but you would have to check
that, especially when you get into modifying content models to support your
new elements.  You would have to give the DTD your own public identifier
since it is not a standard DTD.  Your documents would reference that DTD in
their DOCTYPE, and could be validated against it.

Stylesheet support is another matter.  It is possible that certain
combinations of elements won't be handled properly, since they were not
written and tested with all those modules in place.

As Jirka said, version 5.0 should provide better opportunities for such
modularization.

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
DocBook Consulting