Subject: Re: [docbook] Re: SGML support

On Tuesday 21 December 2004 21:31, Norman Walsh wrote:
> / Frans Englich <frans.englich@telia.com> was heard to say:
> |>From my perspective, I do not at all mind dropped SGML support, and
> |> welcome
> |
> | the new Docbook version. Also, it wouldn't hurt if it didn't take too
> | long to arrive.
>
> Well. Timing is everything, as they say.
>
> At the TC call, I outlined my personal vision: an official 5.0 alpha
> release sometime in Jan/Feb. Alphas through the spring, betas through
> the summer, candidate releases in the fall, with a goal of perhaps
> announcing 5.0 as a committee specification at XML 2005.
>
> The only thing that can make it go faster is user participation.
> (We've twice delayed the release of 4.4 because we can't prove anyone
> is using it enough to have confidence that it's bug free.)
>
> And I think user participation can make it go faster. If we get lots
> of reports on the alphas, lots of constructive feedback, that'll make
> it easier to produce betas, etc. and eventually easier to push an
> official release.

Yes, I think that too -- and those who want a fast result should help
achieving it. Depending on how the release schedules for KDE 4 and Docbook
5.0 /roughly/ turns out, and what the KDE developers decides to do, it would
perhaps be possible for the KDE developers to emigrate during the
alphas/betas of Docbook 5, in order to help with testing. It could be risky
for KDE, but not necessarily. I'll keep my eyes open.

Cheers,

		Frans