Subject: Re: [docbook] Free Shared Glossart Database of Computing Terms

On Monday 17 January 2005 20:06, Dave Pawson wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-01-16 at 10:08 +0200, Sean Wheller wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Is anyone sharing a Docbook Glossary Database comprise of Computing
> > Terms?
>
> Would you be a bit more explicit about 'computing terms' Sean?
>
> I started a glossary of linux 'jargon' == software apps.

Hi Dave,

I mean computing terms, Linux is included :-). I think it would be valuable
community resource. Seriously, I have started my own and I am sure others
have the same, examples would be:

<glossentry id="gt_cobol">
            <glossterm>COmmon Business Oriented Language</glossterm>
            <acronym>COBOL</acronym>
            <glossdef>
                <para>A programming language for simple computations on large
amounts of data, designed by the CODASYL Committee in April 1960. COBOL's
natural language style is intended to be largely self-documenting. It
introduced the record structure.</para>
            </glossdef>
        </glossentry>
        <glossentry id="gt_com">
            <glossterm>Component Object Model</glossterm>
            <acronym>COM</acronym>
            <glossdef>
                <para>An open software architecture from DEC and Microsoft,
allowing interoperation between ObjectBroker and <acronym>OLE</acronym>.
            </glossdef>
        </glossentry>
        <glossentry id="gt_corba">
            <glossterm>Common Object Request Broker Architecture</glossterm>
            <acronym>CORBA</acronym>
            <glossdef>
                <para>A set of specifications designed to support platform -
and language-independant, object-orientated distributed computing. Similar in
purpose to Microsofts DCOM, CORBA is a middleware technology, serving to
connect diverse components of a software system.</para>
            </glossdef>
        </glossentry>
        <glossentry id="gt_cscw">
            <glossterm>Computer Supported Cooperative Work</glossterm>
            <acronym>CSCW</acronym>
            <glossdef>
                <para>Software tools and technology to support groups of
people working together on a project, often at different sites.</para>
            </glossdef>
        </glossentry>

<glossentry id="gt_dtd">
            <glossterm>Document Type Definition</glossterm>
            <acronym>DTD</acronym>
            <glossdef>
                <para>The definition of a document type in
mark-up tags and their interpretation.</para>
            </glossdef>
        </glossentry>
        <glossentry id="gt_dns">
            <glossterm>Domain Name Server</glossterm>
            <acronym>DNS</acronym>
            <glossdef>
                <para>A server service that maps names to IP addresses and
vice versa. Domain Name Servers maintain central lists of domain name/IP
addresses and map the domain names in your Internet requests to other servers
on the Internet until the specified web site is found. </para>
            </glossdef>
        </glossentry>
        <glossentry id="gt_dll">
            <glossterm>Dynamic Linked Library</glossterm>
            <acronym>DLL</acronym>
            <glossdef>
                <para>A library which is linked to application programs when
they are loaded or run rather than as the final phase of compilation. This
means that the same block of library code can be shared between several tasks
rather than each task containing copies of the routines it uses. The
executable is compiled with a library of &quot;stubs&quot; which allow link
errors to be detected at compile-time. Then, at run time, either the system
loader or the task's entry code must arrange for library calls to be patched
with the addresses of the real shared library routines, possibly via a jump
table.</para>
            </glossdef>
        </glossentry>
<glossentry id="gt_ftp">
            <glossterm>File Transfer Protocol</glossterm>
            <acronym>FTP</acronym>
            <glossdef>
                <para>A client-server protocol which allows a user on one
computer to transfer files to and from another computer over a
            </glossdef>
        </glossentry>
        <glossentry id="gt_fifo">
            <glossterm>First In First Out</glossterm>
            <acronym>FIFO</acronym>
            <glossdef>
                <para>An accounting method for valuing the cost of goods sold
that uses the cost of the oldest item in inventory first.</para>
            </glossdef>
        </glossentry>
        <glossentry id="gt_fqdn">
            <glossterm>Fully Qualified Domain Name</glossterm>
            <acronym>FQDN</acronym>
            <glossdef>
                <para>A complete domain name consisting of a host, the
second-level domain, and the top-level domain. For example, www.syspro.com is
a FQDN. www is the host; syspro is the second-level domain; and .com is the
top level domain.</para>
            </glossdef>
        </glossentry>
--