Subject: Re: [docbook] Re: Free Shared Glossart Database of Computing Terms

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, Norman Walsh wrote:

>  when it fell out of print the authors were going to make
> it available in some open form. If it can be found, it might be a
> start. I'm pretty sure it all got converted to DocBook at some point.

I think you're talking here about Binh Nguyen's compilation - The Linux
Dictionary:

      http://www.tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Dictionary/

which, essentially, combined in one document all the various attempts to
date (including esr's revised version of the Jargon file), with no
attempt at editing or re-editing.

It was converted to DocBook recently.

With ~25 000 entries, and at ~2 000 pp, this should be enough for anyone
to play with.  [Mind you -- it's Linux-specific.]

Searchable versions exist.

(I'm surprised no-one's mentioned it so far -- I've been sitting here
waiting for it to crop up -- surely I can't be the only one on the list
aware of its existence?)

HTH
mwheeler@startext.co.uk                http://www.startext.co.uk/mwheeler/