Subject: Re: [docbook] Re: Graphics does not render converting to PDF

Hello Ferad,
Yes, the DocBook XSL stylesheets are usually successful in rendering
graphics.  Your DocBook XML appears to be correct, so usually the problem is
that the graphics file has an unsupported format or the file is not
readable.  Are you able to see any error messages from Cocoon that indicate
a problem with the image files?

EPS files can be an issue with PDF output because they require a Postscript
interpreter to be rendered.  Neither XSL-FO processors nor PDF readers
contain a Postscript interpreter.  The XSL-FO processor will pass along the
EPS code, and provide any thumbnail bitmap for the PDF viewer.  If your EPS
files don't have such a  thumbnail, then you won't see anything in the PDF
viewer.  If you print the PDF to a Postscript printer, then you will get the
EPS code rendered.

But you say you also cannot render JPG and PNG, which are formats that are
supported by all XSL-FO processors.  So I suspect there is some problem with
the XSL-FO processor's access to the image files.  Are they located in the
same directory as the XML document?

If Cocoon's error messages are not visible, perhaps you could try doing a
two step process until you get it working.  The first step uses an XSLT
processor such as Saxon to apply the DocBook XSL stylesheet to your XML to
generate XSL-FO output.  Then an XSL-FO processor such as FOP is used to
convert that to PDF.  If you do it this way, then you are much more likely
to see any error messages that will help you determine why your graphics are
not being rendered.

This chapter in my book should help you get that set up:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/ToolsSetup.html

By the way, in the future you should post queries such as this to the
docbook-apps mailing list, where DocBook applications are discussed.  The
"docbook" mailing list is for discussing DocBook schemas.  It is a common
mistake for those new to DocBook, so don't worry about it.

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
DocBook Consulting
bobs@sagehill.net