Subject: Re: [docbook] DocBook 5.0 Toolchain and Questions

Ben Rockwood wrote:

> I'm alittle confused about what 5.0 and NG will mean to authors moving
> forward.  NG looks like it will make customization much nicer without
> having to bug Bob Stayton (my hero) every time, but from a practical
> standpoint I'm unsure of what the future holds.

I can understand you, and I'm sure that there will be HOW-TOs ready when
it will be right time to switch from 4.x to 5.x for larger pool of users
not only for early adopters.

> Currently, in 4.x it seems to me that the "golden toolchain" is xsltproc
> and DocBook XSL 1.69.1.

Well, I wouldn't label xsltproc as a part of the golden toolchain as it
doesn't support all the features of the stylesheets (some extensions,
internationalized indexes). If you want all features there is Saxon
6.5.4 configured to use catalog resolver and to support XInclude.

>  I'm not an expert with XML or DocBook
> internals, but it looks to me like 1.69.1 is simply bridging the gap
> betwen DTD and NG, and I guess the word on the street is that in the
> future we'll use DocBook 5.x with XSL2, which I suppose means we can
> continue to use xsltproc?

Current version of the stylesheets supports both DocBook 4.x and 5.x.
Current support for 5.x is done just by stripping namespace from DocBook
5.x document and then processing it as it were v4.x document. Of course,
you can use xsltproc with 1.69.1 or with the following versions of
stylesheets to process DocBook 5.x documents.

There is also separate project -- rewrite of stylesheets into XSLT 2.0
-- which is far from finished but it will offer some interesting
features that are not possible with XSLT 1.0 based implementation. AFAIK
there are no plans to support XSLT 2.0 in xsltproc in the near future.

> A side question, I won't miss DOCTYPE's so much, but I'm concerned that
> I can't verify the new NG xmlns locations, such as:
>
> <article xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook"; version="lillet">
>
> If I point a browswer to that url to verify that its valid I get a 404.
> Nevertheless, it seems to work fine.  Can someone explain this?

http://docbook.org/ns/docbook is namespace for DocBook 5.0. It is not
location of schema/DTD, it is just identifier that distinguishes
elements in this document from other sets of elements like XHTML, SVG, TEI.

If you want to validate your document you must supply schema location
manually or use validator which is able to map namespaces to schemas.
Unfortunatelly there is no standard syntax for such mapping files, but
there are several tools that support this approach to location schemas,
for one example see: http://www.dpawson.co.uk/relaxng/nxml/schemaloc.html

					Jirka

S/MIME Cryptographic Signature