Subject: Re: [docbook] DocBook tool chain recommendations?

Rich Morin wrote:

> Bob Stayton's "DocBook XSL: The Complete Guide" (Sagehill, 2003)
> lists several possibilities for XSLT processors, including Saxon,
> Xalan, and xsltproc.  I gather that xsltproc is a good choice, as
> it is fast, free, and conformant to the specification.

I would suggest you Saxon. xsltproc is faster in some situations, but
sometimes new version introduces bug that is raised by DocBook
stylesheets. What is more important are stylesheets extensions that are
available for Saxon and Xalan, but not for xsltproc.

> PassiveTex is one possibility, but setting up an maintaining a TeX
> suite just for this purpose may be onerous (though it would have
> the advantage of providing access to TeX :-).

PassiveTeX is far for complete FO implementation and it is unable to
process output from DocBook XSL stylesheets.

> FOP is another possibility (and I've downloaded a copy to try out),
> but it appears to be rather dated: the current version (0.20.5) was
> created in 2003.

FOP also has some limitations. I would suggest you to use high quality
FO formatter (like XEP or XSL Formatter) or use some TeX based solution
like dblatex or db2latex.

   Nejbližší termíny školení: DocBook 5.-7.12. * XSL-FO 19.-20.12.
      XSLT 17.-20.10. * XML schémata (včetně RELAX NG) 7.-9.11.

S/MIME Cryptographic Signature