Subject: Re: [docbook] DocBook tool chain recommendations?

Rich Morin wrote:
> I'm still trying to decide on an Open Source tool chain to use
> for formatting DocBook into PDF.  I gather that the procedure
> is to use an XSLT processor to process DocBook into XSL-FO,
> then use an XSL-FO processor to generate the PDF.

I haven't really tried using XSL-FO, but what I do is convert the
DocBook to LaTeX, and then run pdflatex.  This especially makes sense if
you're familar with LaTeX and/or need to match an existing LaTeX style.

For example, I don't know how well the XSL-FO processor handle 2-column
output, but it's a breeze with LaTeX.

I use some ad-hoc scripts, but people are saying good things about
blatex (http://dblatex.sourceforge.net/), and I think I'll try it next
time I need to write a paper.
--
	--Per Bothner