Subject: Re: CALSpair format alternatives

/ Michael Smith <smith@xml-doc.org> was heard to say:
| nico <nicolas.marsgui@libertysurf.fr> writes:
|
|> But in the TDG example (2.0.12) the "units" attribute is set for areaspec.
|> And I guess that the units are inherited. Right?
|>
|> <areaspec units="calspair">
|>   <areaset id="oneway" coords="">
|>     <area id="oneway1" coords="300 400"/>
|
| I don't know. :(
|
| TDG does not say anything about the units being inherited, but
| that example certainly seems to imply that they can be inherited.
| And the logic used in the DocBook HTML and FO stylesheets is that
| they are inherited.

Yes, I think they are.

| But still, that example does not make sense, because CALSPair
| needs four coordinates, as far as I can tell.

Right. That example is clearly wrong. I've attached a better one.

|> >That is valid but could be either LineColumn or LineRange
|>
|> Ok. Does it make sense if for graphic elements these units are interpreted
|> as the following calspair: "x,y x,y"?
|
| I do not know, and TDG does not make it clear.
|
| Sorry, I guess I have not been much help here.

I'm not sure what CALS says about this case, but I think the answer is no.
If you're using an image, you're stuck with CALSPair. Though I'm tempted
to suggest that we invent HTMLPair as a convenience.

By the way, this example will become a lot simpler if RFE 1380477[1] is
accepted.

office.xml

officemap.png

[1] https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1380477&group_id=21935&atid=384107