Subject: RE: [docbook] docbook and rdf

While browsing for a nice URI reference for MODS originInfo, I found this:

http://www.dpawson.co.uk/nodesets/entries/051227.html

Very nice!

I'll post this anyway.

--

Dave, I know you are aware of the work that Richard Newman, Bruce D'Arcus, Ian Davis and others are doing wrt. representing bibliographic metadata in an ontologically sane manner. I include a few links for the benefit of those DocBook'ers that would like a brush-up on bibliographic metadata:

http://vocab.org/frbr/core
http://holygoat.co.uk/pipermail/sw-bib_holygoat.co.uk/
http://holygoat.co.uk/
http://netapps.muohio.edu/blogs/darcusb/darcusb/
http://internetalchemy.org/

Some surveys of bibliographic software and standards:

http://bibliographic.openoffice.org/

Recent discussions among Dublin Core people about related topics:

http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind0512&L=dc-general&D=0&O=D&T=0&P=3408
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind0512&L=dc-general&D=0&O=D&T=0&P=3653

Using RDF and owl:sameAs mappings, one should be able to connect various vocabularies. For RDF URI references to identify publication and origination properties, one might want to rely on the definition of MODS originInfo:

http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/v3/mods-userguide-elements.html#origininfo
http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/v3/mods-3-0.xsd

MODS is about as close as one gets a current standard XML vocabulary for bibliographic metadata. While it isn't exactly RDF, you won't get better defined semantics.

Kind regards
Peter Ring