Subject: Re: [docbook] http://docbook.sourceforge.net/ problem

On ιπε 4, 2006, at 15:42, Elliotte Harold wrote:

> David Tolpin wrote:
>
>> With accessibility for visually impaired, the situation is similar.
>> One is to make the design so simple that the
>> only side that benefits is authors of bad screen readers. Another one
>> is to make screen readers understand
>> JavaScript and provide alternative means for navigation. With the
>> first approach, the majority suffers, including
>> the blinds: they can't access most sites, because not all sites are
>> careful enough to provide content for bad
>> screen reading programs. With the second approach, everyone wins,
>> because it allows most people to access
>> most sites in the most pleasant way, and boosts software development
>> and advances in information science.
>
> I couldn't disagree more. Proper accessibility design improves sites
> for everyone, both sighted and not; and this is as true in web site
> design as everywhere else. Simpler sites work better. The only people
> who lose out by moving to simpler, JavaScript/Flash/Java free sites
> are the designer weenies who don't get to play with the latest cool
> toys and charge ten times as much for doing so.

Hi Elliotte,

you cannot disagree more just because you didn't read my original
message. Please do. It is difficult to argue without being listened to.

My point is that (in brief):

   - the design must be as simple as possible
   - but not because blinds cannot access JavaScript-loaded sites
   - the way to make WWW accessible for visually impared is to make
their access tools better, not to trim down pages
   - JavaScript/AJAX/etc should only be used when it provides
functionality which is not available otherwise
   - the use of JavaScript/AJAX/etc should be consistent with the basic
interface paradigm of WWW, not against it.

David