Subject: Re: [docbook] Markup for revisions / comments

Hi Jose,

On Wednesday 22 February 2006 15:56, Jose Gonzalez Gomez wrote:

> Is there any kind of markup for specifying a comment during the
> revision of a document, keeping track of the author? I'm thinking about
> a docbook document that is sent for review, and reviewers write their
> comments, even answering to each other. Is this possible to do with
> docbook? I know about remark, but don't know if this may be used in
> combination with some other tag.

I don't think there is a special element for this purpose. However you can
use this:

* Use revhistory[1]
This element can be used from a more "global" view.  However you can use
it in hierachical elements only like section, chapter and such. So it is
limited if you need to comment a para only. Of course you can xref to it,
but it might be difficult if your sections or chapters are very long.
  It may be not the best option to hold this sort of comments, but it
depends on your structure of your document and if you or your reviewers
"like" this sort of markup.

* Use remark in combination with phrase
This element can be used for a more "local" view. You can (ab)use it with
phrase to hold an author with his comment (if you need this granularity):

However if you work with different authors it needs probably some sort of
discipline to enforce this structure. Unfortunatly this markup can be
very hard to read if a para is interspersed with remarks and lots of
comments. Probably it's better to move remarks in front of the respective
para.

* XML Comments
Why not use them? :)

Hope that helps,