Subject: Re: [docbook] Re: Shape and colour (NOT style stuff) in DocBook 5

HI there,

I'm writing an image annotation tool, and users are selecting areas on
an image, and adding annotations to them. Annotations can be categorized
by function or type, and each category is associated with a shape
(spiral, rect, cross, ellipse) which appears on the image, and a colour
which is used to draw the shape. I'm using screenshot elements with
areas to store the data in docbook (although the app's native format is
a combination of TEI and SVG). I need to store the shape and colour the
user has associated with each annotation category. The meaning of the
shapes and colours is the user's choice; it may be simply mnemonic or it
may have broader significance, depending on what they're doing when the
annotate the image.

I'd just like to find some standard attribute or element in which I can
store a hex colour, and one I can use for descriptive text for the
shape. It seems as though a format designed for documentation should
have some way of describing colours and shapes, but I just can't find
anything.

Cheers,
Martin

Norman Walsh wrote:
> / Martin Holmes <mholmes@uvic.ca> was heard to say:
> | mixing display and data, so don't flame me please; the data itself
> | includes information about colour and shape, and I'm looking for a
> | standard way to encode this in DocBook attributes or elements, if
> | possible without abusing existing tags. Does anyone have any
> | suggestions?
>
> Can you provide an example of the sort of thing it is and what the
> shapes and colors mean?

Martin Holmes
(mholmes@uvic.ca)
Half-Baked Software, Inc.