Subject: RE: [docbook] Polymorphic Modular DocBook

Hello Camille,

I have to agree with Scott.  I have had excellent success with content reuse based on DocBook, both within and among documents.  Furthermore, with the XML tools that are currently available, I find that the whole idea of arbitrary chunking of content into some level of container for reuse is no longer critical.  I have been able to reuse content from the middle of a file by referencing the ID on the element and then pulling it into place where I need it.

I also find that inclusion works best on a level below the chapter-equivalent elements.  The chapter element typically has the introductory information appropriate to the context in which the information is being presented.  I reuse sections, tables, and admonitions quite frequently and have even, on occasion, reused an introductory paragraph.  With XPATH based inclusion operators (such as xinclude, although we wrote our own to allow converting among similar grammars on the fly), I can "chunk" on any element, without regard to where it is located in the file; just provide the filepath and the XPATH to access anything inside the file.  With many processors, the file reference can include an HTTP reference, which we use for accessing content across repositories.

Regards,

Larry

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Hudson [mailto:scott.hudson@flatironssolutions.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2006 8:55 AM
To: Camille Bégnis
Cc: docbooklist

Hi Camille,

IMO, DocBook works very well for modular documentation. That said, I
usually recommend chunking at the section level, leaving the book,
chapters, etc. as "assembly templates/documents". The book and chapters
contain the higher level wrappers and additional verbage that is
appropriate for that level, and then contain entity references or
XIncludes to the section-level chunks that are to be reused.

Best regards,

--Scott