Subject: Re: [docbook] Polymorphic Modular DocBook

This is something I had to defend at my current employer too.. So would like
to share my perspective..

I do see the benefits of topic-based XML aproach - as suggested by DITA and
S1000D.. It clearly is a good model to discuss XML chunks and suggests
authoring content in a modular format up front and not keep the book in
mind.. (It has implications on the writing style and the flow of content in
topics and books)..

DocBook (or any other book DTD) can also support reuse simply by the fact
that is uses XML and thus can leverage XInclude or File Entities in DTDs..
In other words any XML system - even if it is built with a book in mind -
supports reuse concepts just as easily..

For e.g. if you're gonna use DITA (since Camille mentioned it), and if
you're not gonna specialize it any further, then that is the equivalent of
using <sections> tags in DocBook.. You just create topics as sections and
store each topic separately in the filessytem and then instead of using a
ditamap use the DocBook DTD to assemble it as a book.

It would be nice to have some sort of a DITAMAP equivalent to help
assembling books as collections as part of the XML specification.. That
seems to be the missing piece in XML which DITA and S1000D has addressed in
their solution.

Advanced XML use
---------------------
A good way to link/reuse chunks though is to use meaningful tags that are
meaningful to your business and authors instead of treating everythign as a
section or concept, task and reference as in DITA.. for e.g.
<hardware-specification>, <verification-task>, <order-info> etc.. And since
each business will have its own preferences, I look at open-source standards
as a building block that needs to be customized as per the business needs..

What was ironix is that I've attended a lot of DITA presentation where they
say that specialization is too erstrictive, not-DITA anymore etc.. and they
recommended against using specialization completely.. My ding on DITA is
that without specialization, you're not much different then what DocBook acn
do with using section tags.. The only benefit then is the idea od a DITA
map - which, as I've said - should not be part of DITA but an XML standard..

Regards.
--
Rajal