Subject: Re: Automatic numbering in DocBook

/ nico <nicolas.marsgui@libertysurf.fr> was heard to say:
|> to orderedlist. I tend to think, however, that the number of lines in
|> a verbatim environment is really a global style issue more than a
|> case-by-case issue. Why number one program listing every 3 lines,
|> another every 5 lines, and another every 10 lines *in a single
|> document*? One case, numbering differently for very short verbatim
|> environments, is something I think the stylesheets should handle
|> better, but not by forcing the author to specify it each time.
|
| IMHO there are cases where verbatim layout should look differently
| in the same document. For example, one can have two listing flows,
| one for some old code implementation (in perl), the other for the
| new implementation (in python), and it can be interesting to show
| each flow differently.

Sure, and I'd probably use <programlisting role="perl"> and
<programlisting role="python"> to distinguish the two kinds of
listings, but I'd still put the formatting details (perl listings
formatted this way, python that way) in the stylesheet, not the source
document.

This is particularly the case because I think I'd probably change the
formatting based on the length of the listing. (Don't number any lines
for listings <= 3 lines, number every other line for listings <= 20
lines, number every fifth line for longer listings, for example).

| Moreover, a document can contain many kinds
| of listing stuff: to dump log files, to dump listing code, to dump a
| README or some legacy text, or to dump some configuration file. For
| each case it can be interesting to have a different rendering. BTW,

Sure. I'd just extend what I said above.

| I don't see why some global style setting should affect in the same
| manner <programlisting>, <literallayout>, <screen> or <synopsis>.

Agreed. (Though that may be the case at the moment. :-/)

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Education's purpose is to replace
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | an empty mind with an open
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | one.--Malcolm Forbes

PGP signature