Subject: Re: [docbook] Re: [docbook-tc] Followup to Norm's write up on numbering.

nico wrote:

> want to set the step. BTW, if the PIs have been introduced to handle
> such a thing, I guess it's because it's usefull, handy and meaningfull.

And probably very obscure and rare requirement. In almost all DocBook
customizations for my clients I have support for specifying linebreak
and pagebreak using PI. Such instructions are sometimes necessary to
fine tune printed output, but still they are very rarely used. I'm not
asking for adding them to DocBook markup, because this can be considered
as a promotion of their usage, which is bad thing and I do not want to
do it.

Ability to specify different steps for linenumbering in document is also
bad thing, because it gives too much freedom to author and result will
be not consistent, which means that it will look more or less ugly (or
at least strange) and will confuse readers. Once you have some general
(and possibly very complex rules) for this behaviour in stylesheets, you
are producing consistent output. If you need different numbering
behaviour for two programlistings in 500 page programming textbook, then
you should utilize custom attribute or PI for it. If you need dozen
different numbering schemes in your document, then you are probably
doing something wrong.

                    Nejbližší termíny školení:
     ** XSLT 23.-26.10.2006 ** XML schémata 13.-15.11.2006 **
      ** DocBook 11.-13.12.2006 ** XSL-FO 11.-12.12.2006 **
   http://xmlguru.cz    Blog mostly about XML for English readers

S/MIME Cryptographic Signature