Subject: Re: [docbook] Automatic numbering in DocBook

Hiya,

On 7/20/06, John L. Clark <jlc6@po.cwru.edu> wrote:
> As with some of the other
> discussion on this topic, I think this is a stylesheet issue.  Where do
> your users need to see these numbers?

Ah, well that's just the thing ; they want it as part of their
editorial process, meaning in their editors, meaning DocBook support
more than stylesheet (I assume). I did one version where I hacked the
DocBook XSLT framework to render this using <ol> elements, which again
is a problem because even though DocBook supports alternate starting
numbers, <OL> does not, and ended up with something that just gets
hard to maintain over time. We're heading towards the numbering being
part of the content more than document structure, though, because of
these and similar issues, such as persistant identification of the
paragraphs. But if there's an easy way to have numbered paragraphs in
DocBook so I don't have to worry about it, great. :)

Alex
--
"Ultimately, all things are known because you want to believe you know."
                                                         - Frank Herbert