Subject: Re: [docbook] XML letter

Mansour <mansour77+docbook@ownmail.net> was heard to say:

> Hi every body:
> I am new to docbook, coming from long trip with tex and latex. Decided
> to move ahead and learn about docbook with XML, in order to take
> advantage of the extensibility.
> The question now, how do I write letters in docbook ?? Where can I find
> tutorials ?? I'm looking to generate a pdf document with header and
> footer, How ??  Can anyone kindly point me. By the way, I'm using
> docbook-utils on Fedora 4. Had hard time to generate a document with
> docbook. So I will stick to this for now.

Before thinking about how to do this, you should think for a moment why you
would want to do this in the first place. XML is about structuring the content,
about transformation to various output formats (PDF, RTF, XHTML, info, man page,
you name it), about accessibility of the contents by external programs and so
on. With this in mind, a letter is probably the document type which benefits
least from XML, unless you are extremely prolific and rely on some sort of data
mining to keep track of your mail. I personally think that a nice LaTeX template
is far easier to handle and requires far less typing (no tags).

Just my 2c

Markus

--
Markus Hoenicka