Subject: Re: [docbook] keep together results in exception

Hi Bob,

Bob Stayton wrote:
> Hi Karsten,
> Docbook's default settings are chosen based on what the stylesheets
> author's think would best serve the most users.  Keeping the titled
> blocks (figure, examples, table) together is a common practice and
> generally good for the reader. But as you noticed, it is not possible
> for the defaults to satisfy everyone, so the stylesheets are designed to
> be customized, and are expected to be customized.

> It is unlikely that we will set the defaults to accomodate an unfinished
> FO processor, when there may be a workaround that can be used until it
> is finished.

I have also posted this to fop mailing list. It works in fop 0.20.5
only, because keep together is not implemented. In fop 0.92beta is is,
and so keep-together fails with the switch always. I have read the spec
of w3c and it is not clear what always means, it reads like the content
must stay together by all means. So, of course this fails if it cannot
be on a page and the exception is correct.

So it throws an exception. That means it cannot be generally used. A
keep together auto or <integer> should do it better. The default should
 have a property which always works and not fails, if a small blocks is
separated, the user can use something like the db:fo (?) function to
correct this.

> Have you tried turning off the automatic keeps for formal
> objects with something like this:
>
> <xsl:attribute-set name="formal.object.properties">
>  <xsl:attribute name="keep-together.within-column">auto</xsl:attribute>
> </xsl:attribute-set>

Yes, I have completely redefined all keep-together properties.

Karsten