Subject: Re: [docbook] Allowing other namespaced content in info

Scott Hudson <scott.hudson@flatironssolutions.com>, 2006-10-18 16:47 -0600:

> I would like to propose that we allow elements from other
> namespaces in the info elements for DocBook v5.0.

I think this is well worth doing.

> Info should be allowed to contain additional elements from any
> other namespace with the processing expectation that they are
> not used for rendering.

I guess this is a minor issue, but I doesn't seem necessary for
the doc to explicitly mention that they're not used for rendering.
The current doc for Info already says:

  Suppressed. Many of the elements in this wrapper may be used in
  presentation, but they are not generally printed as part of the
  formatting of the wrapper. The wrapper merely serves to identify
  where they occur.

So processing expectations for the non-DocBook info content wouldn't
really be any different from those of the DocBook info content.

> One question that has been raised, is whether a separate <foreign>
> element should be introduced as a child of info, that could contain this
> kind of namespaced information or not?

Having a Foreign wrapper doesn't seem necessary, since the
elements would already be in a different namespace.

  --Mike

--
Michael(tm) Smith
xmpp:smith@sideshowbarker.net