Subject: Re: [docbook] Add topic element to DocBook?

Jirka Kosek wrote:

> But you might also think about modularity from logical level where you
> want to create small self-contained information modules that can be
> later combined together in a various ways. This is approach taken by
> DITA and although I personally prefer more narrative documents there are
> users who prefer such approach for technical documents writing.
>
> If we want to support such type of documents in DocBook I think it is
> better to devote new topic element for this instead of using section.

OK. Let me stand up and say I *don't* want to support such documents in
DocBook. Not that such documents aren't important, but they're different
  enough from DocBook's domain that we cannot easily or comfortably
support both in the same application. We'd have the Edsel problem:
trying to be all things to all people and ending up being nothing to no
one. DocBook's book-based design does not fit well with this. If that's
what you need, there's DITA. We do not need one vocabulary to rule them all.

Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!