Subject: Re: [docbook] alternative topic proposal

Jirka Kosek wrote:

> New elements contentmap and topicref will not be part of DocBook schema
> but they will be defined in a completely separate schema for
> contentmaps. We could eventually add also topic element into DocBook
> schema. But such element will be allowed only as a root element
> (couldn't be child of any other element) and its content have to be
> discussed more carefully, but I think that it should be very similar to
> section. That way only one new element topic would be added into DocBook
> schema and this addition wouldn't change any existing content model.

I like this proposal, but I'd be even more conservative. Let's not
change the DocBook schema at all. I don't think we actually need a topic
element. The external contentmap and topicref elements are sufficient.

We could go further by allowing XPointers to select individual elements
from existing DocBook documents, rather than the entire document. And I
still wonder if contentmap might not just really be one big extended XLink?

Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!